Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy and My Waistline: 5 Tips That Should be On Everyone's Food Shopping List

This is not quite wedding related but OMG! I have eaten more sugary sweets in the past 24 hours and Hurricane Sandy hasn't really arrived yet. When I shopped for supplies on Sunday, I bought all of the necessary things to sustain our family plus a house guest in the event we lost power and water. But I also bought an abundance of comfort food.
The local supermarket had buy one get one free sales on a variety of cakes, cookies, and chips. Cake mix was also on sale (at least I thought so but who cares, I bought several boxes). By the end of my shopping trip yesterday, I think more than half of my Hurricane Sandy shopping supplies consisted of junk food. OH MY! OH MY MY MY!!! Because guess what happens next, my family and I pick on one, then two, and before you know it...we're out. Completely out...and Sandy hasn't even come to our door yet!

Now, my family is on a sugar high and my jeans won't fit because of Hurricane Sandy. Well, in reality, it's all my fault. I panicked when I got news that our Governor gave a news conference in our town. When the Governor comes to town, in my book, this storm is serious business. So I bolted out of my home, raced to the supermarket and bought all that I thought we needed...SWEETS and JUNK!

Sunday night, I made these delicious cupcake cones with the help of my kids. We made a dozen of them and 0 remain as of Monday morning! There's nothing left. I have another box of cake mix and we plan to make another dozen this evening (Monday night) if we still have power... Will they last? Doubt it.



As I wipe the crumbs off my lips, guilt sets in, and I feel I need to reach out to you all and say...if you did what I did, then it's too late. Just enjoy it, enjoy the cake, ice cream, cookies, or whatever it is you have to comfort you. But let's work together now, learn from this, and prepare for the next disaster that may cause us to become repeat offenders.
  • When the storm passes and we're able to shop again, stock up on your supplies and leave them until you need them again. - best to be prepared then to run out last minute like I did.
  • If you must run out last minute, have a plan! Chances are your local news station will have a list on their website of what you should have on hand...print it out, don't try to commit to memory. 
  • Now that you have your emergency list, write your grocery list of what you'll need to sustain your family for the predicted length of time of the disaster. 
  • Write on top - AVOID AN ABUNDANCE OF JUNK FOOD - and get more snacks that are healthy. Get the junk food, but not more than healthy food. 
  • Shop on purpose. Get what's on your list and keep it moving.
It may be too late for us now, so go ahead and enjoy that big ole piece of pie (I will) and let's be prepared for next time. My jeans can't take another hurricane! But if you're trying to get into a wedding dress or tux weeks before your wedding, give the pie to Sandy and ZUMBA! (I will)!




How are you "prepared" for natural disasters when you're forced to stay home? Please share in the comments. I'd love to read your stories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like These Articles...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...